The Crematorium is part of the Kensal Green Cemetery, which was founded as a result of a successful long campaign to establish new cemeteries in London to replace the overcrowded churchyards throughout the capital, many of which were in a parlous state. The Church of England chapel was built in 1836-7 and forms the central architectural feature in the cemetery. Catacombs were built along the north boundary wall.
Established by Act of Parliament in 1832, Kensal Green Cemetery was London's first necropolis and remains in private ownership today, still administered by the General Cemetery Company who from the first wanted to create the cemetery as a park, 'a place of recreation that would be morally uplifting and edifying to the general populace'. A further 9 hectares were added at the western end of the site in the late-19th century, and it is here that the Crematorium was built in 1939.
Visitor FacilitiesWeekdays: 9am - 5pm (1/10-31/3) or 6pm (1/4-30/9); Suns: 10 am - 5pm (1/10-31/3) or 6pm (1/4-30/9); BHols: 10am-1.30pm
Detailed DescriptionWest London Crematorium is part of the Kensal Green Cemetery, which was founded in 1830. A further 9 hectares were added at the western end of the site in the late C19th, and it is here that the Crematorium was built in 1939. It has a circular bed in front and the gardens of rest are laid out as groups of rose beds surrounded by hedges.
See EH Register. John Archer, Daniel Keech 'Nature Conservation in Hammersmith & Fulham', Ecology Handbook 25, London Ecology Unit, 1993
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=HAF072
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsWeekdays: 9am - 5pm (1/10-31/3) or 6pm (1/4-30/9); Suns: 10 am - 5pm (1/10-31/3) or 6pm (1/4-30/9); BHols: 10am-1.30pm
DirectionsLondon Overground/Tube (Bakerloo): Kensal Green. Tube: Ladbroke Grove (Hammersmith & City) then bus. Bus: 18, 23, 52, 70, 295, 316
London Parks and Gardens Trust