Glaisnock (also known as Glaisnok, Ardsnok, Glasnok)4183

Netherthird, Scotland

Brief Description

Glaisnock House is situated just outside Cumnock and its grounds include a wooded glen. Fragments of a narrow boundary belt planted during the 19th century survive. After a major refurbishment the house has opened as a centre for enterprise and creativity.

History

The mid-18th-century park at Glaisnock consisted of tree-lined enclosures and was divided in two by an avenue. There was further planting in the 18th and 19th centuries, including woodland and shelterbelts. A new house was built in the 1830s for a Mr James Allason. The estate was broken up in 1949 and the house sold to the County Council. It was closed in 1973 after a period as a school. Glaisnock has now been refurbished and has opened as a European centre for creativity.

Features
  • Commercial (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tree Belt
  • Description: Fragments of a narrow boundary belt planted during the 19th century survive.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Contact
References

References