The Garth (also known as Garth Hall)1402

Guilsfield, Wales

Brief Description

The Garth is a ruined house site and relict ornamental park. The highly ornate, early-19th-century house and stables, designed by John Claudius Loudon, were demolished in the mid-20th century. Remnants of the ornamental grounds include a terrace, two lakes and the remains of a kitchen garden.

History

There was a house on the site in 1717 built for Richard Mytton. His grandson commissioned J.C. Loudon to build the new house and stables from 1809. The Garth remained in the family until World War 2 but was then abandoned and used by the army as a munitions depot. After the war the contents were auctioned off and the house demolished betwen 1950 and 1952. In 1954 the site passed to the local council and is now farmed.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house was demolished in 1950-52 and is now little more than a pile of rubble.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Lake
  • Description: Two lakes.
Terrace, Kitchen Garden
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Guilsfield
Associated People

Just one person associated to The Garth

Contact

Telephone

01443 336000

Official Website

Click Here

Owners

    References

    References