Fulbourn Manor House 4107

Fulbourn, England, Cambridgeshire, South Cambridgeshire

Brief Description

Features of Fulbourn Manor House include garden walls, statues and a garden terrace.

History

Fulbourn Manor House was established in the late-18th century.

Detailed Description

The grounds extend to a park to the east of the manor, and there is a flint wall along the village street around the property. The entrance gate piers are brick with stone finials in the form of eagles with heraldic cartouches between their talons. These came from Beaupre Hall, Outwell near Wisbech.

In the entrance court is a stone statue of William of Orange facing the house. The plinth of the statue is inscribed with a quotation from D. Hume's ‘History of Great Britain'. To the east of the house is an extensive lawn leading to a ha-ha giving long views across the park. A stone wall extends from the house along the north side of the lawn with a long herbaceous border. Arched metal supports for climbers provide shade along the border over a seating terrace.

The walled kitchen garden has been developed for housing but the earlier Tudor stone and half-timbered Old Manor still overlooks the edge of the park. The whole is reminiscent of a medieval French country estate prior to Le Notre stamping his formality on the tree planting.

Features
  • Garden Terrace
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Sculpture
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Herbaceous Border
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ha-ha
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Fulbourn
History

Detailed History

Fulbourn Manor House has been in the Townley family since 1788 and has been occupied by them almost continually since that date. It was largely rebuilt in 1910 by Dudley Newman, incorporating part of the original house.

Period

  • Late 18th Century
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust