Ely Grange 5350

East Sussex, England, East Sussex, Wealden

Brief Description

The site was a woodland created in a Victorian landscape style, with serpentine paths through shrubberies and trees. The extent of survival of this site has not been established.

Detailed Description

The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map shows a woodland in a Victorian landscape style. There are serpentine paths running through shrubbery and trees. Most of the land lies to the south-west of the house, which, according to Pevsner is 'chaste Neo-Georgian'. There are large greenhouses to the west of the house. The gates and gate piers are listed Grade II. The ornamental cast iron gates to the carriage drive are set in rectangular gate piers with cartouches carved in them and surmounted by caps in the form of crowns (Pike, 1910).
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Frant
History

Detailed History

The site is first recorded in 1545 as 'Helly' (hilly), which became Ely. In 1816 it was owned by Sir John MacPherson, Baronet, who was the Govenor of India from 1785-1786. He later became the MP for Cricklade.
References

References