The mid-19th-century Fountain Gardens were laid out on the site of a previous formal garden dating from the late-18th century. The main feature of the gardens is the grand, ornate central fountain.
The local manufacturor, John Love, created Hope Temple Gardens in 1797. The gardens contained a bowling green and Hope Temple museum. In 1866 Thomas Coats bought the gardens and had them redesigned by James Niven in an elaborate geometric layout with broad paths leading to the central fountain. Ornate ironwork was a feature of the garden. In 1868 the gardens were renamed Fountain Gardens and gifted to the people of Paisley. Heritage Lottery funding was secured in the early-21st century to restore the gardens.
Visitor FacilitiesThis is a municipal site, open daily.
- Description: Statue of Robert Burns erected in the 1890s.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThis is a municipal site, open daily.
DirectionsFountain Gardens are located on the edge of Paisley town centre. There are entrances on Love Street and Caledonia Street.
- Victorian (1837-1901)
- Associated People