Hare Hall with C19th additions survives surrounded by ancillary buildings and playing fields to the north, but the extent of the estate grounds is greatly diminished. The form of the serpentine lake remains, now almost dry and overgrown, together with vestiges of a raised terrace and fragment of the stone bridge, with fine trees between the house and lake, and around its banks.
The Royal Liberty School, formerly Hare Hall, is on part of an old estate previously known as Goodwins. Hare Hall was built in 1768/69 for John Arnold Wallenger, who then began landscaping the grounds, possibly with advice from Richard Wood, its bridged lakes and winding shrubbery walks much favoured by him. It would seem that Humphry Repton later improved the gardens. In the C19th the estate was used for farming, then purchased for the railway, but later part was back in private hands. After WWI it was mostly developed for housing with a small part of the land and the Hall itself purchased by the Romford UDC in 1921 to house the new Royal Liberty School for Boys.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsRail: Gidea Park. Bus: 496, , 674, 751, 752
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
- Associated People
London Parks and Gardens Trust