The cemetery is now within the new Eastbrookend Country Park. It has a garden of rest and, most unusually, an Apiary. There is little planting apart from cherry trees.
The cemetery was laid out in 1914 by a private company, its brick chapel and lodge (since demolished) completed by September of that year, probably designed by architect John Bannen. The first burial is recorded in 1916.
Visitor FacilitiesMon-Fri 10-4.30 (Oct-Mar) / 7 (Apr-Sept). Sat, Sun, BH: 10-4 Oct-Mar) / 6 (Apr-Sept)
The cemetery was laid out in c1914 by a private company, with the first burial recorded in 1916. There is a brick chapel, but the cemetery lodge has since been demolished. It was purchased in 1958/60 by Dagenham Borough Council and renamed Eastbrook End Cemetery. It is now within the new Eastbrookend Country Park. It is unusual in having an apiary in the grounds.
James Howson 'A Brief History of Barking & Dagenham' (LBBD Libraries Dept, 6th ed 1990); Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008), p146-7. See The Undertakers' Journal, September 1914, pp259-60, and September 1917, p247
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=BAD007
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsMon-Fri 10-4.30 (Oct-Mar) / 7 (Apr-Sept). Sat, Sun, BH: 10-4 Oct-Mar) / 6 (Apr-Sept)
DirectionsTube: Dagenham East (District) then bus. Bus 174
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust