The cemetery was enlarged twice over the years. It is surrounded on two sides by railings and at the apex of the triangular site are ornamental wrought iron gates with an elaborate overthrow, dated 1728 and made by G Buncker. The cemetery contains some fine 18th- and 19th-century tombs.
The site for the burial ground was donated to the villagers of Dulwich by Edward Alleyn in 1616. The burial ground was full by 1856 and was closed to burials, although by special dispensation Mrs Goodman of The Crown and Greyhound Pub in Dulwich Villas was buried here in 1898.
Detailed DescriptionThe site for the burial ground was donated by Edward Alleyn who owned the Manor of Dulwich. His charitable foundation, Alleyn's College of God's Gift, led to the establishment of almshouses and schools in Dulwich, and continues to manage an estate of nearly 610 hectares. Prior to this the nearest place of worship was some 2 miles away and there was no parish burial ground. The cemetery was twice enlarged over the years but was full by 1856 and closed to burials. It contains some fine C18th and C19th tombs and a number of famous people were buried here.
Ron Woollacott, 'Southwark's Burying Places, Past and Present', Magdala Terrace Nunhead Local History publication, 2001; John Wittich, 'London Villages', Shire Publications, 1992; Andrew Duncan, 'Walking Village London', New Holland, 1997; In and Around Dulwich: A Guide to South London's Green Oasis (no date); Southwark Listed Buildings data; Brian Green 'The Old Burial Ground, Dulwich Village' The Dulwich Society newsletter, summer 2006
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=SOU024
London Parks and Gardens Trust