Cox's Walk is a rare survival of an C18th public walk. Today it leads from Dulwich to Sydenham Hill, running adjacent to Dulwich Golf Course and Dulwich Woods.
The walk was created by publican John Cox as a public path through the Fifty Acre Wood opposite his inn, The Green Man. With trees on either side, it became a short cut to the spa at Sydenham Wells, one of a number of fashionable spas in the area. In 1739 Cox's son discovered a mineral stream in the grounds of the inn and opened pleasure gardens. Cox's Walk was acquired by Camberwell Vestry in 1898 and since 1965 is owned by London Borough of Southwark.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Forest Hill then bus. Bus: P4, 176, 185, 197, 363, 356.
London Parks and Gardens Trust