Restoration of the Botany Gardens began in 1984 and works include a new pond near order beds with dipping platforms, coppicing and planting of exotic species in the woodland.
James Allen's Girls' School originated as a small school founded in 1741 by James Allen, Master and Warden of Alleyn's College of God's Gift in Dulwich. The school moved to the current site in 1886, and in 1896 its Botany Gardens began to be planted, after the arrival of Dr Lilian Clarke as science teacher. Her pioneering approach included practical work in the school grounds with a series of ecological gardens created to enable the pupils to study plants in conjunction with insects and other animals in their habitats. By 1914 over 300 girls and part-time assistants were helping with the work and new garden areas and types of habitat were added. The gardens flourished until the outbreak of WWII but after the war they became neglected as the focus of the syllabus changed.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is mainly private, but visits can be arranged by appointment and there are occasional open days.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is mainly private, but visits can be arranged by appointment and there are occasional open days.
DirectionsRail: North Dulwich, Herne Hill. Bus: 37, 12, 40, 176, 312, P4, P13
- Early 20th Century