The gallery is surrounded by gardens with lawn and a collection of fine trees including black mulberry, a dawn redwood and a Judas tree.
Dulwich Picture Gallery, probably Britain's first purpose-built public art gallery, was founded in 1811 through the bequest of Sir Francis Bourgeois. He left his collection of pictures to Alleyn's College of God's Gift in Dulwich, stipulating that it should be publicly available and that Sir John Soane should design the building for its display. The Picture Gallery opened to the public in 1817 and adjacent is Christ's Chapel of God's Gift of 1616.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open Tues-Fri 10am-5pm; Sat/Sun/Bank Hols: 11am-5pm
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open Tues-Fri 10am-5pm; Sat/Sun/Bank Hols: 11am-5pm
DirectionsRail: West Dulwich/North Dulwich. Bus: P4, 3, 37, P13
London Parks and Gardens Trust