Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Didmarton 6932

Pgds 20110205 193549 Atkyns Didmarton

Brief Description

After about 150 years as a manor, the site was downgraded to a rectory and there are now no traces of the original garden. The house is in private ownership and there is no public access.


Little detail is known of the garden other than what was included in the Kip engraving. The site had a complex of manor, church and garden. The house was built around 1600, and became part of the Beaufort estate around 1750. Various parts were demolished then given to the church as a rectory. The garden and park were reverted to farmland.



  • Formal

Civil Parish

  • Didmarton

Detailed History

With reference to the Kip engraving included: This is a late-17th-century formal garden and park around a manor house and church lying immedately to the south of the Tetbury to Bath road. The large garden next to the house is mainly walled, with a simple grass parterre with decorative hedging and espaliered fruit trees to the south. There are more formal grass parterres to the west. Formal avenues and tree planting lie beyond the walls. An area with fruit and vegetables exists in the inner garden and there is also a large area with vegetables in the outer area. The garden to the west is terminated by a tree plantation.



  • Martin McNicol