Boxwell Court 6029

Leighterton, England, Gloucestershire, Cotswold

Brief Description

The gardens associated with Boxhill Court consist largely of grass with naturalistic plantings of spring bulbs. The main feature of this well-maintained estate is an extensive natural box wood. The estate has been associated with the same family for over 600 years.

History

The original owner of the estate was Gloucester Abbey although the ancestors of the current owners bought it in 1612 and had been associated with it since medieval times as tenants. Sir Walter Raleigh had possession of part of the estate in the early 17th century before it was sold to George Huntley in 1612.

Features

Style

  • Informal
  • Building
  • Description: The church within the grounds.
  • Tree Feature
  • Description: A natural box (Buxus sempervirens) wood, second only in size to Boxhill in Surrey.
  • Gateway
  • Description: Stone gate posts with the Huntley crest at the entrance to the disused drive from the west.
  • Drive
  • Description: The house and the church share the same drive, which passes through natural box woods.
  • Spring
  • Description: A spring arising in the box wood, which supplies St Mary's Well.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Boxwell with
References

References

Contributors

  • Gloucestershire Gardens & Landscape Trust

  • Mary Blumer

    1