Darlands Lake Nature Reserve consists of an ornamental lake, surrounding woodland belt and a fenced path from Totteridge Lane. In 1982 Darlands Lake Nature Reserve was established, its main approach quite close to the C19th entrance drive and route from the pleasure grounds to the lake. This passes close to a copse planted in 1810 to mark the Jubilee of George III.
The site was once part of the landscaped park of Copped Hall, an estate dating from the C16th. From 1780 it was occupied by William Manning whose wife Mary was involved in the redesign of the grounds probably with advice from Humphry Repton. The lake and circular ride connecting it with the house are typical of Repton. Copped Hall was eventually demolished in 1929 and Darlands House erected on its site by 1935, with large gardens that still open onto the former parkland to the south. Other housing was developed over much of the pleasure grounds, and the open park between house and lake became farmland.
Visitor FacilitiesAccess may be restricted; contact Wildlife Trust for information.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsAccess may be restricted; contact Wildlife Trust for information.
DirectionsTube: Totteridge & Whetstone (Northern) then bus. Bus 251.
- Associated People
London Parks and Gardens Trust