Connaught Park 4859

Dover, England, Kent, Dover

Brief Description

Connaught Park was the first park established in Dover, and is sited on the hill below the castle. There is a promenade along the northern boundary and a variety of recreational facilities.

History

The park was opened in 1883.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.dover.gov.uk/parks/parks-connaught.asp

Detailed Description

A fine Quercus ilex planted by the Duchess of Connaught at the opening ceremony and a gothic drinking fountain induce a sensation of time past, furthered by the Victorian shelters near the tennis courts and playgrounds. Paths lead up the grassy slopes and through spinneys to the promenade along the northern boundary, from where there is a panoramic view of Dover the Channel and the Western Heights.
Features
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: Park keeper's lodge.
  • Specimen Tree
  • Description: There is a Quercus ilex planted by the Duchess of Connaught at the opening ceremony.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Drinking Fountain
  • Description: Gothic drinking fountain.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Building
  • Description: Shelters.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Promenade
  • Description: There is a promenade along the northern boundary.
Lake
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.dover.gov.uk/parks/parks-connaught.asp
History

Detailed History

Connaught Park was the answer to a long-felt need for a public park in Dover and was achieved in 1883 by the lease of land on rising ground to the north-west of the Castle. Voluntary public subscription covered the cost of landscaping, the lake, trees, shrubs, fencing, and the park-keeper's lodge.
References

References