Russell Gardens 4860

Dover, England, Kent, Dover

Brief Description

Russell Gardens are located across the road from Bushy Ruff park and Kearnsey Abbey (see separate description). The gardens have a formal design, featuring terraces, steps and a canal.

History

The garden of the Victorian mansion was designed by Thomas Mawson in 1901.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.dover.gov.uk/parks/parks-russell.asp

Detailed Description

The lily pond of the upper terrace has been converted to a sunken garden and, flanked by tennis courts, is now a weaker counterpoint to the flight of structural ingenuity below. Mawson's use of the natural watercourse was inevitable and the canal with its pillared and balustraded pavilions was a grand climax to his design.
Features

Style

  • Formal
  • Planting
  • Description: Lily pond, now converted to a sunken garden.
Canal, Garden Terrace
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.dover.gov.uk/parks/parks-russell.asp
History

Detailed History

The Russell Gardens are part of the Kearsney Court estate that have been open to the public since 1951. The garden of the Victorian mansion was designed by Thomas Mawson in 1901. He made an important contribution to the art of garden design between 1900 and 1920, and this is one of the few examples of his work in Kent. His skill in linking house to garden by terraces and flights of steps to give views of lower gardens and sweeping lawns was demonstrated with style at Kearsney.

Period

  • Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
Associated People
References

References