The Monument Grounds were developed by The Butterly Company Limited around their monument erected in 1857 to the memory of William Jessop, the founder of the works. In 2006 some of the original planting was felled. Now, following partition of the site, only relict features of the garden design remain.
The monument grounds and monument were a popular attraction for galas and Sunday school outings, until, on the 6th July 1861, the monument was hit by lightning and the subsequent damage meant the grounds had to be closed to the public. In 1998 RJB Mining was granted planning permission to extract coal on the condition that, when mining ceased, repairs and restoration of the grounds and the monument were carried out.
- Description: The Codnor Park monument, commemorating William Jessop Junior (1783-1852).
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Mid 19th Century