South Wingfield Manor consists of the ruins of a 15th-century palatial medieval manor house. It is arranged round a pair of courtyards, with an undercrofted Great Hall and a defensible High Tower 22 metres tall.
South Wingfield Manor was built in the 1440s for Ralph, Lord Cromwell, Treasurer of England. The Earl of Shrewsbury later took possession of the manor, imprisoning Mary Queen of Scots here in 1569, 1584 and 1585.
The site is open on the first Saturday of the month between April and September. Please see:
- Manor House (featured building)
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Description: The High Tower, 22 metres tall.
- Access & Directions
- South Wingfield
- Medieval (1066-1540)