Christ Church Spitalfields is now a small garden, a small section of the original churchyard. Features include a drinking fountain and London planes.
Christ Church Spitalfields was built 1714-1729 following the 1711 Fifty New Churches Act with money raised by tax on coal. Its churchyard was much larger than the present garden, the original ground enlarged in the late-18th and mid-19th centuries when it extended from Brick Lane to Commercial Road and used for some 67,000 burials.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open from 8am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open from 8am - dusk.
DirectionsTube: Aldgate East (District/Hammersmith & City). Bus: 67
- Associated People