The site comprises Chislehurst and Walden Recreation Grounds and Whyte's Woodland.
The Chislehurst Tithe Map of 1844 shows the site of Chislehurst Recreation Ground as a field owned by Lord Sydney, Lord of Chislehurst Manor and a principal landowner at the time. At some time between 1908 and 1928 the land was acquired by Chislehurst and Sidcup UDC for use as a recreation ground. Walden Recreation Ground (to the north?) was named after Viscount Walden, 9th Marquess of Tweeddale who was born in Edinburgh but came to live in the area. In 1938 Miss Agnes Whyte conveyed by way of a gift the adjacent wooded area to the UDC, now known as Whyte's Woodland after its donor. This and the extension to the Recreation Ground opened in 1948.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Elmstead Woods, Chislehurst then bus. Bus: 61, 160, 161.
- Early 20th Century