The Tarn was acquired by the Metropolitan Borough of Woolwich in 1935 and laid out with paths and shelters around the existing lake. Near the entrance is a mid-18th century brick ice-well built to supply Eltham Lodge with ice.
The Tarn takes its name from the lake that dominates the small park, a remnant of the late-17th century grounds of Eltham Lodge that was once within the Great Park of Eltham Palace, a royal palace dating from the C14th. Eltham Lodge was built in 1664 when Sir John Shaw leased the estate.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 9am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 9am - dusk.
DirectionsRail: Mottingham. Bus: 126, 161, 124