Canford Park 671

Bristol, England, Bristol, City of

Brief Description

Features of this municipal park include a shrubbery, sunken garden with lily pond, flower beds and a bowling green. The park is bounded by a low stone wall.

History

This park was opened in 1874. The land was bought from Reverend H.A. Daniel by Clifton Urban Sanitary Society, and absorbed into the City in 1904. The park was opened to the public in 1909.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal park for general public use. Please see:

http://www.bristol.gov.uk/ccm/...

Terrain

Flat, with the exception of the pond and sunken garden

Detailed Description

Canford Park is in a residential area with a large cemetery to the west. It is surrounded by a low stone wall.

Along the north-eastern side there is a shrubbery. In the northern tip of the park there is a sunken garden with a lily-pond, which is rectangular in shape with rounded ends. Beds of roses surround the pond and cotoneaster grows around the walls of the garden. Around this garden there are several mature trees, including several pines and two Indian bean trees.

A children's playground is on the western side of the park. A large raised circular flower bed is regularly planted with flowering annuals. There are tennis courts and a bowling green with a pavilion in the south-west corner. Some large trees line the southern side of the park.

Canford Park is well-maintained by the local authority. The grass is cut regularly, the roses are pruned and the flower beds are cared for.

Features
  • Fountain
  • Description: The drinking fountain dates from 1897. It was originally erected on the site of the war memorial in the centre of Westbury-on-Trym. It commemorates sixty years of Queen Victoria's reign. It is a square Gothic structure on a two-step plinth (now incomplete). There are also four pink granite columns and two basins.
  • Planting
  • Description: Sunken garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Boundary Wall
  • Description: Low stone wall.
  • Specimen Tree
  • Description: There are several mature trees, including several pines and two Indian bean trees.
Shrubbery, Rose Border, Bowling Green Pavilion, Bowling Green
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal park for general public use. Please see:

http://www.bristol.gov.uk/ccm/...

History

Detailed History

Canford Park was bought from the Reverend H.A. Daniel in 1874 for £6,157 by Clifton Urban Sanitary Authority. Westbury was taken into the city in 1904. Paths were laid out in 1905-9 at a cost of £1,554, and the park was opened to the public in 1909.

The sunken garden and pond were built between 1936 and 1937.

Contact
References