Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Bristol University Botanical Gardens (The Holmes)

Introduction

The Holmes garden was laid out in 1879 as a naturalistic garden and plant collection by Hiatt Cowles Baker for his father. In 2002 the University of Bristol decided to re-locate its botanic gardens from Bracken Hill to the Holmes. Planting commenced in 2005.

Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts

Access contact details

The gardens are open to the public from 10 until 4.30 on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays, with occasional Saturday openings through the summer.

http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/Bo...

Owners

University of Bristol

Senate House, Tyndall Avenue, Bristol, BS8 1TH
Associated People
Features & Designations

Designations

  • Conservation Area

  • Reference: The Downs
Key Information

Type

Botanic Garden

Purpose

Botanic Garden

Principal Building

Multiple Dwelling

Survival

Extant

Hectares

1.2

Open to the public

Yes

References

References

Contributors

  • Avon Gardens Trust

Related Documents
  • CLS 1/95/383

    Landscape Appraisal - Hard copy

    Tim Lynch Associates, Bradford on Avon - 2005