Cote is an early-19th-century garden, now partly built over. This garden lies on an early-18th-century site by Mrs Jean Anderson and John Wedgwood, a founder member of the Royal Horticultural Society and son of Josiah Wedgwood.
The earliest deeds date from 7 October 1656. The house was sold in 1799 to Mrs Jean Anderson, who laid out the garden with the help of John Wedgewood, eldest son of Josiah of Etruria pottery fame, and the founder of the Royal Horticultural Society.
Cote Lodge, at the old entrance to Cote is now alienated from Cote. Cote Drive now commences at The Lodge, an inter-war period house. There has been in-fill building all along the south of Cote Drive, partly inter-war and partly post-war. The curtilage of Cote now also contains two 1960s developments of single-storey dwellings known as Cote Paddock and New Cote. Like Cote, there are both administrated by Bristol Old Peoples Welfare, a local charitable trust. These latter occupy the sites respectively of the Paddock and the Orchard.
The drive is flanked by an elegant chain fence on cast-iron posts. Two 18th century urns which stood each side of the front entrance were recently stolen. Only the plinths remain. The original doorway faced east and was entered from an extant cobbled yard in front of the stableblock, which is now the warden's cottage. Cote itself has been extended and modernised, most recently to comply with fire regulations.
The Orangery is reached by a terrace walk along the west wall of the house. It is still used for plants in containers. The lawn slopes westwards down a steep bank, possibly once a ha-ha, to the lower terrace. The rockery is made of pulhamite and is well-tended. There are greenhouses at the end of the balustraded walk. Below the lower terrace is the large fruit and vegetable garden. The remainder of this area is fairly wild, with incursions of scrub.
The main area of the garden, to the south of the house contains a small paddock and many fine mature specimen trees, including Horse Chestnut, Red Horse Chestnut, Cedar of Lebanon, Scots Pine, Holm Oak, Red-leaved Oak, False Acacia, Sequoia, Copper Beech, Beech, Yew and Lime.
The ornamental garden of Cote is well-maintained by a team of three gardeners. There is a large and productive fruit and vegetable garden which supplies the kitchen. The steps from the terrace were badly damaged by severe frosts in the winters of 1985 and 1986. The steps and the piers have been removed and the area grassed over, and the wall has been made continuous. The dressed stone is stacked up below the terrace.
- Cote House (featured building)
- Description: The earliest deeds date from 1656. Much of the house is thought to date from around 1706.
- Latest Date:
- Garden Terrace
- Description: Balustraded terrace
- Specimen Tree
- Description: There are many fine mature specimen trees, including Horse Chestnut, Red Horse Chestnut, Cedar of Lebanon, Scots Pine, Holm Oak, Red-leaved Oak, False Acacia, Sequoia, Copper Beech, Beech, Yew and Lime.
The earliest deeds date from 7 October 1656. The bounds of the estate had been added to by the time it was bought by Thomas Moore in 1706. Much of the existing house (then a farmhouse) dates from this period. It is thought (see references, Robinson) that Thomas Moore altered the property by building the new front in the style of Vanburgh.
After other owners and a succession of tenants the house was sold in 1799 to Mrs Jean Anderson. She laid out the garden with the help of the possibly related John Wedgewood, eldest son of Josiah of Etruria pottery fame, and the founder of the Royal Horticultural Society. The RHS was formed in 1804. From 1807 the house belonged to the Daubeney family, and from 1919 was in the possession of the Robinsons (of Dickenson Robinson Group - packaging company).
- Associated People
Just one person associated to Cote