The Abbey, Swaffham Bulbeck 4115

Swaffham Bulbeck, England, Cambridgeshire, East Cambridgeshire

Brief Description

Features of The Abbey include a lawn, a large meadow and earthworks.

History

The Abbey is an 18th-century house built on top of the original Abbey remains.

Detailed Description

The Abbey is surrounded by numerous earthworks within the grounds of 2.8 hectares. The undulating field is treated as a large wild flower meadow and there is recent shrub planting to the north, which encloses a small lawn. A vegetable garden is tucked away from sight to the right of the entrance gateway. The Abbey stands on slightly raised ground with outstanding views to the surrounding countryside and across the fen.
Features
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Swaffham Bulbeck
History

Detailed History

The Abbey is situated to the northern end of the village and comprises an 18th-century house built over a medieval undercroft. The medieval undercroft is believed to date from around 1300. It is the only surviving building of the Benedictine Nunnery, founded in the 12th century by Isabel the Bolebec.

Period

  • 18th Century