Paty is noted for his skill as a carver in both stone and in wood and for his consistent use of Gibbsian surrounds on doorways and five step voussiors over windows on his house elevations. Amongst other works in Bristol he was responsible for laying out of several streets and for the rebuilding of both Bristol Bridge and St. Nicholas Church as well as for dressed masonry and carving on the Bristol Exchange, Clifton Hill House and Royal Fort.
Together with his sons John (died 10 June 1789) and William Paty, he had an extensive monumental masonry business.
Thomas died on 4 May 1789. His business was carried on by his two sons.
Colvin, Howard, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, 3rd edition (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1995), pp. 742-743.
Priest, Gordon, The Paty Family : Makers of Eighteenth-Century Bristol (Bristol: Redcliffe, 2003)