Belle Vue Zoological Gardens 5027

Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

This site was founded as a pleasure and zoological garden in 1836 and was extended over a number of years. The attractions included an Italian garden, racecourse, hothouses, mazes, lakes, an Indian mosque and animal enclosures. Since the late 20th century the site has been lost to housing and a multi-cinema complex.

History

The zoological garden was founded by John Jennison in 1836 as a pleasure garden. It was developed and extended until 1898. A speedway track was built in the 1920s and more recently the area has been converted for housing and a multi-cinema complex.

Detailed Description

This roughly rectangular site was originally surrounded by fields in the Newton area of Manchester. It lay between Kirkmanshulme Lane to the south and Hyde Road to the north. Kirkmanshulme House and grounds were just outside the south west corner.

When the pleasure grounds were first opened in 1936 they included an Italian Garden, lakes, mazes, hothouses and a zoological garden. A number of other attractions were added subsequently including a race course in 1847 and an elephant house in 1852 (which was renewed in 1878). An Indian Mosque was built in 1886 and used for a monkey house. In 1870 a natural history musuem was added and rustic grottoes were built in 1898. A speedway track was built in the 1920s.

Features
  • Pavilion
  • Description: Indian mosque used as a monkey house
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Maze
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Hothouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lake
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
History

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
References

References