Debdale Park 5151

Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

This large park lies to the south of Gorton Lower Reservoir and offers a range of recreational and sports facilities. It has ornamental gardens, wooded areas and a community room in the former Aviary.

History

The park was formerly part of the local Water Company lands associated with the Gorton reservoirs. It was acquired by Manchester Corporation and has been extended and developed as a public park offering a range of sports and leisure activities.

Visitor Facilities

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/scripts/services_info.php?serviceID=1878

Detailed Description

Debdale Park lies south of the Gorton Lower Resevoir and is bounded by Debdale Lane to the south-east. The formal gardens and woodland pathways are largely to the south-west of the park. The north-eastern area is more open land with some wooded areas including a belt of trees along Debdale Lane. A pathway also follows the northern boundary with the resevoir.

Current facilities include the ornamental garden with a rockery, herb garden, formal flower beds and a rose gaden. The former Aviary has been refurbished to create a community room and there is a dedicated play area for children. The wooded areas are managed to provide a natural habitat for wildlife, including birds and bats, combined with an outdoor learning experience for children.

Features
Aviary, Flower Bed, Tree Feature, Rockery, Path
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/scripts/services_info.php?serviceID=1878
History

Detailed History

The area was originally known as Deepdale and consisted of marsh land, meadow and open pasture. The majority of what is now the park was owned by a Mr J. S. Grimshaw, a local hatter.

The land was acquired by the local Water Company in the 1820s as part of the area used to construct two reservoirs. The Water Company was in turn acquired by Manchester Corporation in 1851. The development of the park started after the end of World War 1. Initially the area was used for football and active recreation.

Between 1954 and 1957 a futher 7.5 acres were leased and developed as ornamental gardens and public pleasure grounds with a system of pathways. A fountain was added in 1959. Further improvements were made in 2006.

Period

  • Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
References

References