Fairfield Mill 6383

Tameside, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Fairfield Mill was a textile mill in grounds to the north of Manchester Road. The site was bounded by a canal to the east and fields to the north and west. The mill was built of red brick of several phases. The most recent part had an 'AD 1913' keystone. An Italianate water tower is situated to the front of the site. There was an associated brick warehouse and an office block of mid- to late-19th-century date. There was a park to the west in 1848, with a wooded boundary. A small, unidentified building within the park was developed as Birch Farm by 1895. The mill was greatly extended and the boundary belt was thinned. Surrounding housing and industrial development was also extended. The site is now lost. The park has been built over, and the mill was demolished in 1993.

Features
  • Mill (featured building)
  • Description: The mill was built of red brick of several phases. The most recent part had an `AD 1913? keystone. The mill was demolished in 1993.
  • Latest Date:
  • Canal
  • Description: The site was bounded by a canal to the east and fields to the north and west.
  • Tower
  • Description: An Italianate water tower is situated to the front of the site.
References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit