Clayton Park 5093

Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Originally the site had a hall surrounded by a moat. The present building dates from the early-17th-century but has been much changed. The estate was purchased by Manchester Corporation in 1893 and developed as a public park.

History

Although the site originally had a hall surrounded by a moat, the present building dates from the early-17th-century. By the mid-19th-century there was planting around the site boundary and also a boundary belt around the moat. This planting had been removed by 1895. The park was purchased by Manchester Corporation in 1893 and developed into a public park.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal park for general public use. Please see: http://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=1796

Detailed Description

In 1848 this small, irregular shaped park lay between North Road, on the north and Aston New Road on the south and was surrounded by fields.

Much of the site was taken up with the house and moat. Little detail is known about the planting except for a boundary belt of trees around the site and around the moat in the mid-19th-century and the possibility of a productive garden to the south. These had gone by the late-19th-century.

The area is now one of Manchester City Council's public parks.

Features
Belt, Moat, Kitchen Garden
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal park for general public use. Please see: http://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=1796
History

Detailed History

The present, early-17th-century house was built on the site of an earlier hall in the middle of a moat. The building has been much extended since then. During the 17th century the hall and surrounding garden were owned by Humphrey Chetham, the founder of Chethams's Hospital.

By 1848 there was planting around the house and a boundary belt of trees around the moat. It is possible that there was also a productive garden to the south-east corner of the site. The boundary belt of trees and the garden had been removed by 1895.

The park was purchased by Manchester Corporation in 1893.

References

References