The park has floral displays, shrubberies and rose beds. At the most westerly entrance on Barking Road the Albert Monk Memorial Gates were erected 'as a tribute to his memory and his life-long service to the youth of the Borough' according to a plaque dated 17 September 1955.
Land for the park was purchased by Lord Bethell in 1905 with money raised through public subscription, and donated to the Council. Barking Road Recreation Ground was opened in 1908 by Princess Louise, the Duchess of Argyll. It had been laid out by unemployed workmen as part of local relief works under the Unemployed Workmen's Act of 1905, with the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association providing some seats.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from dawn to dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from dawn to dusk.
DirectionsTube: East Ham (District). Bus: 5, 238, 300, 325.
- Early 20th Century