The former entrance lodge is now concealed behind a 6 foot concrete fence and is no longer in cemetery use. The only greenery is an avenue of small, pollarded chestnut trees, some now dead, which line the main path through the graveyard. The cemetery suffered serious vandalism in May 2003 when 386 tombstones were vandalised.
Plashet Jewish Cemetery was opened by the United Synagogue Company in 1896 on a rectangular site.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open to the public by appointment only.
Detailed DescriptionPlashet Jewish Cemetery was opened by the United Synagogue Company in 1896 on a rectangular site, simply laid out on a grid pattern. Originally there was a central prayer hall, which was demolished following bomb damage, but a small brick building is sited just inside the main entrance. The tombstones are generally in straight rows and surrounded by gravel, and while most are simple, among them are monuments topped with columns and urns, and a few family plots set with balustrades. The cemetery was known as the Trade Unionists Cemetery and past secretaries of the Cigars Union and Costermongers Union are buried here.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008); The United Synagogue website
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=NEW025
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open to the public by appointment only.
DirectionsTube: East Ham (District/Hammersmith & City). Bus: 101, 104, 147, 238, 300, 325.
London Parks and Gardens Trust