Among the trees are pedunculate oak that pre-date the 1870s layout, which indicate old farmland field boundaries. The design of the park is little altered since it was laid out although tennis courts have been added on the south side.
Mayow Park opened in June 1878 as Sydenham Recreation Ground and is Lewisham's second oldest public open space after Blackheath. It is named after Mayow Wynell Adams, the Mayow family having acquired land here in the 18th century, which was once been part of Westwood Common. A drinking fountain was erected in recognition of the efforts of the Revd. William Taylor Jones of Sydenham College in acquiring the land for the park.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 8am - sunset.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 8am - sunset.
DirectionsLondon Overground: Sydenham. Bus: 75, 356
London Parks and Gardens Trust