Wraxall Court 3596

Bristol, England

Brief Description

Wraxall Court is a garden of lawns and specimen trees, including much planting after 1953.

Detailed Description

The garden of Wraxall Court includes lawns and specimen trees including much planting post 1953. There is a walled garden.

Historical information augmented by Avon Gardens Trust 14/2/2013 - at this date it appears Wraxall Court is being offered for sale.

Description checked by Avon Gardens Trust 22/5/2012.

Authorities

Electoral Ward

  • Wraxall and Long Ashton
History

Detailed History

Wraxall Court was the original manor house. After the Norman conquest the Manor belonged to the De Wrokeshale family until it passed to the Moreville and then Gorges family by marriage. The parish of Wraxall was part of the PortburyHundred. In Victorian times the Ford family lived at Wraxall Court, which was taken over by the Admiralty during the Second World War, and became a Hall of Residence for Bristol University afterwards.

Court of manor house. Dated 1658, SG (Simon Gorges) on porch; remodelled early - mid C18 and extended early - mid C19. Listed Grade II.

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here
References

References

Contributors

  • Avon Gardens Trust