Woodhill (also known as Wood Hill)6763

Trefonen, England

Brief Description

There is a 19th-century park associated with the hall at Woodhill. Features have included trees, formal areas, and paths,

History

The park was probably created sometime in the early-19th century, but its design and extent have been changed repeatedly over the succeeding years.

Features
  • Bath House
  • Description: Possibly of wood (see Stamper 1996, 62).
Tree Feature, Path
Access & Directions

Directions

Woodhill Hall lies close to the village of Trefonen, south-west of Oswestry, ad just east of the Welsh border.
History

Detailed History

In 1851, the late-18th or early-19th-century Woodhill Hall was the property and residence of Lazarus Jones Venables. The hall was located in grounds which appear in the late-19th century to have been formally laid out, stretching southward into the centre of the park. These formal areas incorporated conifers and deciduous trees, as well as various paths.

The park was probably created sometime between 1806 and 1827. Its boundaries in the east were defined by the north-south Oswestry-to-Whitehaven road, and in the north by a tributary of the Rea Brook. By the 1870s, while its area had been reduced in the north-east, the park had increased in overall size, with extensions to the north-east and south-west. At this point, the west-east minor road formed a new boundary in the south.

By 1851, the park had various plantations. The most important of these was located in the south-west, and extended westward along the park's boundary.

By 1873-74 the park had a lodge on the Oswestry-to-Whitehaven road, from where a tree-lined approach ran towards the south-west of the Hall. There were also several trackways or paths in the park, including one associated with Pentre to the east.

References

References