Windmill Hill, Gravesend 3533

Gravesend, Gravesham, Kent, England

Brief Description

Windmill Hill is a pleasure ground developed in 1840 around the last surviving windmill which burned down in 1900. The mill also contained a camera obscura.

History

The pleasure garden was established in 1840. The site was purchased in 1920 by the Gravesend Corporation for the use of the public.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.gravesham.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=3293

Detailed Description

There is an exciting macro-view of the Thames from the summit, where there is an historic beacon.

The site was acquired by Gravesend Corporation soon after 1920 and this grassy knoll continues to be developed and freely enjoyed.

Windmill Hill Gardens were opened in 1902 at the foot of the hill and opposite the Regency terrace, Clarence Place.

They serve for sport and recreation and are worth a closer look for the uncommon trees and shrubs planted there.

A memorial in a small formal garden commemorates the losses of two world wars and there is a classical granite obelisk erected to the memory of a local benefactor.

Features
  • Structure
  • Description: Beacon.
Obelisk
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.gravesham.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=3293
History

Detailed History

Windmill Hill, by Rouge Lane, Gravesend, was developed by The Windmill Hill Pleasure Ground Company about 1840. The mill with its camera obscura attracted many visitors to the hill which was to form the climax of a grand town plan that was only partially achieved.

Period

  • Mid 19th Century
References

References