The New Tavern Fort 4881

Gravesend, England, Kent, Gravesham

Brief Description

The New Tavern Fort is a municipal garden in Gravesend. Features include a rose garden and a bandstand.

History

The New Tavern Fort guarded the entrance to the Thames from 1780. It was sold to Gravesend Corporation and converted into a garden between 1930 and 1932.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.gravesham.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=3250

Detailed Description

The cannon and fortifications are somewhat softened, for those who come in peace, by judicious planting around the defences. The Rose Garden marks the site of the Fort House which was destroyed by a V2 rocket in 1944. The Victorian bandstand is a decorative construction with oriental pretensions.
Features
  • Rose Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Bandstand
  • Description: The Victorian bandstand is a decorative construction with oriental pretensions.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.gravesham.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=3250
History

Period

  • Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
References

References

Contributors

  • Kent Gardens Trust