Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Whitton Court


Whitton Court is a country house which once featured a deer park, as well as fishponds and terraced gardens to the east of the house.


The earliest parts of Whitton Court date from the 14th century, although the house was much rebuilt between 1621 and 1635. From this time it is likely that there was a deer park, and a wallpainting in the hall shows a stag hunt with Whitton Court in the background. The park was certainly present by 1752, and a map of 1884 shows parkland still surviving around the house. However, by 1901, it is recorded that the deer park 'had long since been disparked.' The terraced gardens near the house were improved in 1884 by Miss Mills, who then owned Whitton Court.

Features & Designations


  • Country House (featured building)
  • Description: Whitton Court was originally a stone hall of the 14th century, much altered by work of 1621-1635. The Tudor work is of brick, and the house has an E-shaped south front with three plain gables. There is an embatteld porch and bay windows. The house encloses a small courtyard. Facing the court is a west range of fine gabled black-and-white work, with lozenge decoration.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Fishpond
  • Description: There were three fishponds to the east of the house.
  • Terrace
  • Description: There were terraced gardens to the east of the house, improved in 1884.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Key Information



Principal Building

Domestic / Residential


Part: standing remains

Open to the public


Civil Parish