Burford House 4997

Tenbury Wells, Shropshire, England

Pgds 20090123 154655 Burford House Summerhouse C 1728 1994

Brief Description

Burford House was built for William Bowles around 1728, when he bought the estate and grounds. The gardens were improved and expanded, and by the 19th century they were extensive, including an avenue and a garden house. The gardens were completely replanted in 1954.

History

The estate of Burford had been in the hands of the Cornwall family since the middle ages. Around 1720, it was sold to William Bowles, who built the current house and extended the grounds. The estate was purchased by Mr John Treasure and his brother in 1954, who reduced the house in size, completely replanted the gardens, and opened the grounds to the public in 1958.

Visitor Facilities

The gardens are open daily from 9 until 6. Please see: http://burford.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page&id=4&chapter=0&zenid=26a03651ad19cd30cb9c61dc5c9aaac7 More information
Features
  • Country House (featured building)
  • Description: Burford House is a plain red-brick house of six bays. The main doorway with a broken pediment of Doric columns is of 1825. The later wings were demolished when the house was downsized and remodeled in the 1950s.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden House
  • Description: The garden house has a pediment of four Tuscan columns, with a wrought-iron grille featuring William Bowles' arms in the pediment (Pevnser 1974, 92).
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Avenue
  • Description: Burford House was approached through the grounds from the north by a short, broad avenue.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ornamental Bridge
  • Description: A Georgian turfed bridge spans the Ledwyche Brook and connects to an area of wildflowers, trees, and meadow.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The gardens are open daily from 9 until 6. Please see: http://burford.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page&id=4&chapter=0&zenid=26a03651ad19cd30cb9c61dc5c9aaac7
History

Detailed History

In the very late-17th or early-18th-century, Sir Francis Cornwall, owner of Burford, deserted his wife and emigrated to Jamaica. His daughter and heir married George Legh, of High Legh, Cheshire, and took on the estate. William Bowles, MP for Bewdley and proprietor of Vauxhall Glass Works, bought Burford from the Leghs around 1720, and in 1728, built the current house and proceded to expand and design the grounds. He had intended for the grounds to also have an extensive deer park, and had bought Burford from the Leghs under the impression that it had one. Six years of litigation followed when he found out that it did not.

In 1954 the house and grounds were sold to Mr John Treasure and his brother. They reduced the house in size, taking away the wings, and began extensive replanting of the gardens. The gardens were first opened to the public in 1958, and have remained so ever since. The modern garden features flowers, meadow, and woodland, and is particularly known for its clematis collection, which intertwines with a great variety of other roses, shrubs, and unusual perennials.

Associated People

People associated to Burford House

References

References