West Wratting Hall 4126

West Wratting, England, Cambridgeshire, South Cambridgeshire

Brief Description

Features of West Wratting Hall include spacious lawns, shrubberies and flower gardens.

History

West Wratting Hall was established in the early-19th century.

Detailed Description

The park to the east of the hall was often used by Edward to test his flying machines. In recent years the park has been greatly reduced in size and the grounds around the Hall now comprise only about 3.2 hectares (8 acres). The entrance drive is edged with lavender and around the hall are lawns, shrubberies and flower beds with a view across the ha-ha to the parkland beyond.
Features
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Shrubbery
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ha-ha
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • West Wratting
History

Detailed History

The manor of West Wratting was acquired in the early-19th century by Harry Frost, who enlarged the existing 18th-century farmhouse adjoining the church and who probably laid out the simple park around it.

Edward Purkis Frost, Harry's grandson, was a pioneer of aeroplane building. In the late-19th century he built a steam flying machine and in 1908 became the President of the British Aeronautical Society.

The property remained in the hands of the family until the 1930s.

References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust