West Mall/Caledonia Place was a private, communal garden dating from 1788 to the 1840s. There is now public access.It is within the Clifton conservation area.
This private communal garden for the late Georgian terraces, West Mall and Caledonia Place, was laid out between 1788 and the 1840s. The public now have access. The layout consists of three rectangular compartments separated by roads and enclosed by cast-iron railing; it is planted with grass, fine trees and shrubs. Caledonia Place, the area of garden to the west of West Mall Gardens and to the south of St Vincent's Priory (a Grade II listed building) is laid out with walls, grass, shrubs and trees. It forms an important garden link between the West Mall communal garden and the formal Georgian Square and the Avon Gorge, extending the views.
All lie within the Clifton conservation area.
- 18th Century
- Late 18th Century
Avon Gardens Trust