This private, communal garden is opposite Nos. 1 - 9 Rodney Place. In form it is a rectangular garden with a curved side following the curve of the terrace and carriage drive. The straight side on Clifton Down Road has stone boundary walls with recently restored railings. The area is grassed with shrubs and trees.It is within the Clifton conservation area.
This private, communal garden is associated with the terrace of houses Nos. 1 -9 Rodney Place which was probably designed by Willliam Paty between approximately 1782 and 1785. Nos. 1 - 9 Rodney Place are Grade II Listed Buildings.
This private, communal garden is opposite Nos. 1-9 Rodney Place and has a curved side which follows the curve of the original carriage drive (now a road) to these properties, and a straight side to Clifton Down Road. The garden is enclosed by a stone boundary wall. There are two, Bath stone, gate piers (one at the southern and one at the northern end of the garden). Railings have been replaced recently on the boundary wall fronting onto Clifton Down Road, but not on the wall on the curved side of the garden facing Rodney Place. The original entrance to the garden (which is for pedestrians only) is opposite 3 Rodney Place. A second entrance has been made (apparently more recently) opposite 4 Rodney Place.
- Description: Recently restored railings.
- Terrace (featured building)
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- 18th Century
- Late 18th Century
- Associated People
Avon Gardens Trust