Caus Park 5038

Westbury, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

Caus Castle had a deer park to the south-west, which was probably established in 1246. Remnants of the park, denoted by the place name Park Wood, survived in 1841, but the extent of the park had shrunk by that time from around 250 acres to only 17 acres (from roughly 101 to 7 hectares).

History

Caus Castle was probably first established soon after the Norman Conquest, and was rebuilt in stone in 1198. It survived until 1645, when it was destroyed after the Civil war. The deer park associated with the castle was established in 1246, and was probably disparked when the castle was destroyed. The land had been divided between tenants by 1679.

Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Westbury
References

References