Features of Waresley Park include a deer park, kitchen gardens, a drive and a steeple chase course.
Waresley Park was improved in the late-18th century.
Originally a deer park, Repton thought this could be improved by concealing the boundaries and removing the paling fences. The house was to be improved by changing the ‘nondescript Georgian style to a Gothic appearance’ then planting special trees in the park and further improvements to the approach to the house. Repton produced his Red Book in the summer of 1792.
A new large villa of 1934 with a round towered centre overlooks the Repton landscape which still retains the earlier kitchen gardens. Parts of the old deer park are now cultivated. The new drive to the villa is lined with Cupressus leylandii, and a steeple chase course is laid out through the park.
Drive, Kitchen Garden
- Access & Directions
Access Contact Detailshttp://www.waresley.co.uk/
Detailed HistoryIn the spring of 1792 Humphrey Repton was called in to advise on the improvement of ‘Waresley Park in Huntingdonshire, a Seat of William Needham Esq.’ The estate comprising 332.8 hectares was offered for sale in 1932, when it was divided into three properties.
- 18th Century
- Late 18th Century
- Associated People
Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust