The gates and pillars are still at the entrance to the Recreation Ground. It is not known if the gates are the original ones. The Recreation Ground has been enlarged and there is now a skate board area, large children’s play area, football pitches and a memorial garden to Princess Diana which appears to be maintained by the British Legion. There has been some tree planting.
After World War 1 a War Memorial Recreation Ground was chosen as a fitting tribute to the town’s loss of men during that time. This was inspired by Lady Hulse’s (Breamore) willingness to give £100 if the memorial was part of a much needed recreation ground for the townspeople. A cricket pitch and adjoining field were purchased for the recreation ground along the southern bank of the Avon, to the west of the town bridge. Tenders were invited for the design of the pillars and gates, one being from Walter Cave the well known London based architect. However, the tender was won by Ernest Bird & Co Ltd of Southampton. The stone pillars were inscribed with the tribute and names of the deceased. The memorial gates were unveiled in April 1923 by Colonel L. Park. Various clubs were given use of the Ground. After World War 2 more names were added below the others.
- Description: The memorial gates were unveiled in April 1923 by Colonel L. Park.
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Description: Memorial garden to Princess Diana.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
Hampshire Gardens Trust