Wandsworth Common is an important historic common, the remains of more extensive commonland that was part of the wastes of the Manors of Battersea and Wandsworth; by the C19th it had been sub-divided by the railway and encroached upon by building as London was developed.
Attempts by local people to preserve the Common against further encroachment began in earnest in 1868 when appeals were made to the MBW to take over responsibility following the Metropolitan Commons Act of 1866, but this was initially unsuccessful. In 1870 a Common Defence Committee was set up, later to become the Wandsworth Common Preservation Society. In 1887 the Common was transferred to the MBW who carried out improvements including planting, paths layout, creation of the ornamental lakes from old gravel pits as well as the smaller Three Island Pond near Bolingbroke Grove. In 1898 the Common became the responsibility of the new LCC who in 1912 purchased an area of 20 acres of open land to extend the common.
Visitor FacilitiesAccess is unrestricted. Nature Study Centre open 2-4pm Wed; 2.30-4.30pm on 1st Sun of month.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsAccess is unrestricted. Nature Study Centre open 2-4pm Wed; 2.30-4.30pm on 1st Sun of month.
DirectionsRail: Wandsworth Common. Bus: 77, 219, 349, G1
London Parks and Gardens Trust