Cascade gardens established in the very late 19th century near Ventnor Beach and esplanade.
Visitor FacilitiesPublic garden
Ventnor Cascade Gardens are situated adjacent to the shore at Ventnor.
A Plaque on the revetment wall at the bottom of the cascade reads as follows:
'These cascade gardens were designed circa 1900 by Edgar Harvey, Town Surveyor for 19 years, born 1856, died 1943.'
However, a watercolour by Henry B. Wimbush entitled 'The Cascade, Ventnor' (reproduced in 'the Garden Isle', R. McInnes 1990) is dated by McInnes to about 1895.
The cascade tumbles over rockwork with surrounding floral bedding.
The gardens are owned and maintained by Isle of Wight Council.
Flower Bed, Cascade
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsPublic garden
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)