The castle ruins have been open to the public since 1847. It is now a tourist attraction with a recreated Tudor garden and herbery. The site was illustrated on the Wedgwood service for Catherine the Great.
The site has the ruins of a Norman Castle, once the prison of Mary Queen of Scots. Her gaoler in 1585, Sir Ralph Sadler, made a plan of the castle which shows an elaborate garden within the walls behind Mary's lodgings. The castle was owned by the Vernons of Sudbury Hall, Derbyshire, who built a new ruined tower to act as an eye-catcher for their hall in around 1750. By the 19th century the castle area was farmed.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open on Sundays between October and April. From April to September it is open Wednesdays to Sundays from 11am.
- Tudor-Style Garden
- Castle (featured building)
- Earliest Date:
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open on Sundays between October and April. From April to September it is open Wednesdays to Sundays from 11am.
Staffordshire Gardens and Parks Trust