The Trawsfynydd Nuclear power station is situated adjoining a 2 square mile lake. It is undergoing decommissioning. The height of the twin reactor buildings is being reduced. The two gardens, Dragon Square and the Dame Sylvia Crowe garden are retained.Sylvia Crowe also advised the central Electricity Generating Board upon the lie of the buildings in the landscape and persuaded them to buy up large areas of surrounding land to be planted with spruce, beech, birch, rowan, sycamore and Pinus contorta. This helped provide a transition in the landscape.
The Trawsfynydd Nuclear power station was commissioned in 1958, and decommissioned in 1991. Two gardens were created by Dame Sylvia Crowe, who also landscaped the wider site.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsThe site is west of the A470 between Dolgellau and Ffestiniog.
- Associated People
- CADW, Register of Landscapes, Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Wales:Additional and Revised Entries, Volume1 (Cardiff: CADW, 2007) 26-28Register of Landscapes, Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Wales: Additional and Revised Entries, Volume 1